Dark O'Clock X-C

Dark O'Clock X-C
Early morning cross country run from Flitwick to Luton

Saturday 3 November 2012

2012 in 2012

Day 308 Saturday 3rd November - Run One - 4.3 miles : miles to date 2014.6 Run Two - 3 miles : miles to date 2017.6 Run one was a very early morning start in the frost and dark, to help Annie Page deliver a master class in x-c coaching. We arrived early to set out the hilly and taxing route we had chosen through the glorious confines of Stockgrove country park. One of my fav races runs through the park every year and is a little known jewel in the areas crown with almost 34 miles of almost entirely trail running. Today's route was further over and positioned strategically for a bacon buttie and coffee after it was done. As I was coaching, I didn't really put much effort in during the session as I think it's more important to encourage the runners than try to get any fitness benefit yourself. I darted between the trails taking shortcuts, as did Annie, to cheer them on. I still managed to clock up a few miles setting out the course and darting about, so I indulged in a jolly decent cuppa and sarnie whilst chewing the fat with the crew afterwards in the cold air and bright sun. Great start to the morning. Run two was an unplanned one. I was in the car, toasting the crown jewels on the heated seats when I realised I could make it back to a local Parkrun where Fi was in charge of timing, to join her for an easy stretch of the legs. She asked me to bring a coffee over and said I had no money, but I'd had a lovely one and sarnie so I was all right. That went down well. A comfortable stroll around the park followed, after a minor panic when my antique Garmin watch was accidentally left on top of the car. Its so old, I'm surprised that no one left us a fiver to buy a new one. Fi is now keeping her fingers crossed that she got the timings right. Parkruns are entirely free weekly 5k events, put on by volunteers for no monetary reward up and down the UK. They rely heavily on the goodwill of volunteers week in, week out. Today's event almost didn't happen due to the low number of volunteers, despite the high number of runners. I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't yet volunteered which I will put right in the next few weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment