Dark O'Clock X-C

Dark O'Clock X-C
Early morning cross country run from Flitwick to Luton

Wednesday 28 November 2012

Disaster time

Day 333 Wednesday 28th November 7.7 miles : miles to date 2205.4 Well folks, it’s been a fantastic experience but disaster struck today. Never the less I would still like to thank you for your support. I wouldn’t have got this far without all my friends, both real and in FB land. Did I ever think I would make it to 333 days of straight running? No is the honest answer to that. It finally happened. The day I have been dreading and worrying about since I started this madcap foolish adventure almost 11 months ago. I am 45 and I should have known that I wouldn’t make it all the way without today’s shattering events. Its no good, I have to be honest. I had to run in gloves and not only that, they were luminous yellow, clashed with my luminous orange long sleeve, which in turn clashed with my red body warmer. Can all fellow followers of fashion ever forgive me? I hope I haven’t let Mr. Guccche and Mr. DeOre down? What, you thought I had stopped? It’s going to take breakage’s to do that but let’s not tempt fate. I headed back to Cow Roast and resolved to dive onto the trails I missed yesterday and boy, oh boy am I glad I did. I was soon winding my way up through the tree’s towards the high ground of the Ashridge Estate, following the ultra-teers mantra of walking the steep top section. I came to one crossway with five separate trails going in every direction. I was sorely tempted to pick another random one and see where I ended up, but time was of the essence and I had to make a turn for home. I was a little lost and asked a walking couple which way to go. It wasn’t quite the same as the time I asked a couple on the outskirts of Hitchin which way was Luton (the way we had come and ten miles away) and which way was Bedford (the way we then headed and twenty miles away). The look on their face was priceless. I headed in the vaguely right direction and then thought heck, I can be 20 minutes late, before heading down another new muddy, wet and twisting trail through the wood. I eventually ran into a clearing and within twenty feet of four large wild deer roaming the area. They were magnificent creatures, so close to the town, a lot larger than the Roebucks that are quite common and with a lot darker fur. We all just paused and looked at each other. I tried to whip the camera out but my movement scared them and they moved away slightly. I just stood stared and thought this is exactly why I love trail running and why I will be back on that trail as soon as I can. The only downside was I had taken so long, I had to peg the last mile quite fast on the road. This was a really enjoyable run, on new ground, in an area I still don’t know and with the possibility of miles more trails. Lunchtime’s will never be the same again. Or the smell in the office. By the way, are flares back in yet? I have a lovely mouldy pair that are looking to make a comeback. I’ll phone Kalvin Clean and ask him.

No comments:

Post a Comment