Dark O'Clock X-C

Dark O'Clock X-C
Early morning cross country run from Flitwick to Luton

Sunday 23 December 2012

Two for the price of one



Day 356 Friday 21st December 3.9 miles : miles to date 2384

As today is the end of the world, I thought it best to get my brief running sojourn in at lunchtime, in case the roads were busy later, what with the world exlpoding. I kept it easy and light, banging in a nonchalant peramble around the mean streerts of tinsel town Berko.

Those predicting a sudden apocalypse must have been disappointed early doors, as the morning devleped like any other. Ceremonial fires burned as the sun rose over the steps of the main pyramid at the Mayan ruins of Chichen Itza today, reaching what many believe is the conclusion of a 5,125-year cycle in the Mayan calendar. Thats almost as long as this running streak, or at least it feels like it at times.

The end of the calender has been interpreted as the prophetic moment the world ends. The peeps gathered in the Mayan city must have been well cheesed off that they didn't perish in an all consuming fireball. I suspect they also only bought a one way ticket to get there, so the taxi services must be doing a roaring trade.That having been said, I'm off out tonight for a Mexican meal with the Born Agains, so I suspect I will awake on the morrow feeling like the world has indeed come to an end.


Day 357 Saturday 22nd December 4.4 miles : miles to date 2388.4

Tis the season to get trollied, la la al la la, le la la la and boy I did last night. As predicted, the world didn't come to an end although I feel like it has following a night with the Born Agains.  I did the usual stuff when trollied. Burn quite a lot of my chest hair with a lighter, pebble dash the garden, lay on the patio floor in my t-shirt in the early cold hours and, er, go for a run.

I can honestly say the one thing I have never done before whilst under the weather in the early hours of the morning, is stick the go slow daps on and run around the village. It was just a bizarre experience, running whilst essentially hammered. It was a case of trying to focus on the road and not fall down, dodge the taxi's and make it home before it got light. I averaged 11.26 per mile, so not quite my normal pace but heck, the run's done for the day and I can now recover at leisure before we got out again. Tonight.

Oh dear, I can feel a repeat performance emerging as we are only going next door. Now I know it's a good thing to hide someone's car keys to stop them driving when trollied, but I can't say I have ever heard of someone hiding six pairs of running shoes?


No comments:

Post a Comment