Dark O'Clock X-C

Dark O'Clock X-C
Early morning cross country run from Flitwick to Luton

Saturday 7 July 2012


Day 189 Saturday 7th July 3.1 miles : miles to date 1232.3 It would appear on the basis of today's 5k race that the Voldemort training schedule might actually be paying some dividends. I ran a new PB by some 86 seconds, officially coming in at 19.10, albeit it my watch stopped at 18.58 finishing in 4th place out of 131 runners. To say I am happy would be an understatement. I simply have never in all my forty four years ever run so fast and this is new uncharted territory. I also think that for the first time ever I actually raced with some sense. At the start, I let the others shoot off and didn't try to match them, running at my pace. I stayed at that pace and slowly but surely, one by one I began to reel them in. As I passed each, I was hurting but told myself if I felt that way and I was going quicker, they must have been in a worse place than me. The acceptance of pain as part of the training kicked in and on the last lap, I was able to move up four places just overtaking the first lady with about twenty feet to go. Given I just wanted to go under twenty minutes for the first time ever, to have a watch time of under nineteen and an official time not much over, has had me on a high all day long.I have to thank the Flying Scotsman George Arbuckle for turning up to support which helped spur me on.

No comments:

Post a Comment