Dark O'Clock X-C

Dark O'Clock X-C
Early morning cross country run from Flitwick to Luton

Saturday 21 July 2012

Day 203 Saturday 21st July 19.7 miles : miles to date 1337.2 I have well and truly learnt my lesson about fuelling in preparation for a decent run after the discomfort of Thursdays run. I shovelled the food in yesterday and it paid off this morning. The schedule had me down for 16 miles in two hours, which was 7.30 pace and a little over 3.15 marathon pace. Having sent out my normal Thursday e-mail to the long distance boys and girls to organise today's run, there was a distinct lack of take up to join me, albeit the crew were still going to meet for the normal x-c run. To keep that steady pace, I decided to steer clear of the trails and stick to the road which is not my favourite surface. I decided against a total billy no mates run and met up with the crew for a few warm up cross country miles, before peeling off and doing my own thing. The slight hiccup was that we covered nearly three miles and my original sixteen at the right pace, didn't start until I peeled. When I did, I found myself running on totally new streets and routes. I know a huge number of trails in the county but because we don't use roads, I had no real idea which one to take in places, as I was in a new area. I eventually came close to the A1, which was the point to turn and head back. Fortunately after a few miles, I found a turn to take me back to somewhere I knew. I totally missed one village and the water tap I was heading for which meant I was a tad thirsty when I got back. I covered the main 16 miles in somewhere just over 01:58 albeit I slowed in the last two miles as I had to go cross country to find my way back to the car, with a bit of an ease down for the last section. Good run, but it was great to finish with a wolfed down bottle of milkshake and bbq salami. Told you I learnt my lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment