Dark O'Clock X-C

Dark O'Clock X-C
Early morning cross country run from Flitwick to Luton

Friday 13 July 2012

Day 194 Thursday 12th July 4.8 miles : miles to date 1272.9

I am a tad late with this post, due the fact that I finished yesterdays run at around 11.55pm, soaked to the skin, in need of a shower and under orders from Fi to go to bed. A very, very long day at work, including a partners meeting that lasted over six hours without more than a ten minute break, meant I couldn't get out in the day. I was then late for my normal Thursday night card game - if I sound like a high roller great, but its bridge - where I spent all night listening to the rain lashing down on the windows. A headache and lack of any food between and 7.30am and 8.25pm did not bode well. And I lost at cards.
Still, as I am on a schedule and this daily run thingy, there was no choice. I was down for 4 miles in 25 minutes which is 6.15 mile pace. I warmed up for half a mile and then thought sod it, lets go for the burn. I headed out of Marston Moertaine where I had stopped and straight up the pitch black A421, without a headtorch or reflective gear. Mad I know, but I could see a long way in the distance and could swap lanes which I did without a problem.
By now the rain was very heavy and a few cars did go past. They wouldnt have been able to see me until I was in their headlights as they whizzed past on the other side of the road. It didn't half make me chuckle to myself at the likely reaction of the occupants, chancing upon some odd random runner coming towards them in the downpour. It would have been even funnier if I was starkers, which did cross my mind, but things shrink in the rain and I thought better of it.
A combination of the above meant I was off pace, covering the four harder miles in about 25:48 or thereabouts, which is about 6.27 pace. Twelve seconds slow per mile may not seem much, but the truth is that I slowed quite a lot in the last mile and I am a wee bit anxious as a result. Fingers crossed its a blip.

No comments:

Post a Comment