Dark O'Clock X-C

Dark O'Clock X-C
Early morning cross country run from Flitwick to Luton

Sunday 18 November 2012

Mudfest


Day 323 Sunday 18th November 15.3 miles : miles to date 2139.6

Praise be to the mudfests in England's green and pleasant land, brothers and sisters of the running persuasion, praise be. As the mighty Odissey once sang, I am going back to my roots. The PB hunting is almost done for the year - apart from a wee 5 miler next Saturday - and today was a stick the daps on and meander where ever the mood took me run.
I covered a few road miles before heading over to the Oakley 20 mile race course, where I ran past an attractive woman runner at the front a school (sucked my belly in and ran a little faster whilst trying to smile obviously), when a few roofers wolf whistled. I was tempted to stop and say thanks but kept going.
Then the fun really began. I turned off the route and joined the John Bunyan trail near to the river, which was instantly wet, muddy and very boggy. After my ankle submerged the first time, my foot was caked in the glorious stuff
 and and I then just headed for every mud pool I could see. It was really quite refreshing just to take the straight route through the mud. It was a glorious, bright and only slightly frosty morning and the trails, leaves, cows, and river all had smiles on their faces.
At one point I had to cross a small bridge and every inch of ground leading to it was a quagmire. I just ran straight into it, where upon my trailing legs dap instantly came off. My momentum tok me forward and my shoeless foot sank into the next step to just below my knee. Stuck at an odd angle, I brought my other leg forward when it lost it's shoe and went in equally as far. By this stage, both shoeless feet were just sinking and I went down to my knee caps. I struggled to try to recover the daps and just for a moment stood there contemplating sitting down and getting the whole spa treatment for free. Realising that Fi would never let me in the house, I eventually climbed out and laughed all the way home. Running through the centre of the village caused a few stares and pointing, which made me just chuckle to myself even more.
The only down side was I had to rinse myself off in the garden with icy hose water before I could even get in the house, but even that made me chuckle after my legs became numb to the cold.
The trails are back in the blood. Yipppeeeeee.


No comments:

Post a Comment