Dark O'Clock X-C

Dark O'Clock X-C
Early morning cross country run from Flitwick to Luton

Thursday 16 August 2012

Day 229 Thursday 16th August 10 miles : miles to date 1509.8 Now that was in interesting run. I put my satellite tracker/pacer in a waist bag and tried to run ten miles at seven minute mile pace. I wanted to see if I could tell the difference even with a seven thirty pace and I could. After last nights nine miler in the dark, my legs were heavy and I was a little worried about running out of steam, but Voldemort needs to be obeyed. I struggled a little after a few miles running into quite a strong headwind on a slightly undulating tarmac route and was pleasantly surprised to find that when I checked at three miles, I was only seconds off target pace. I was already tiring and made sure that I pushed on away from the car to make sure I had to cover the full distance and not stop early. There were a few sections where my breathing was a wee bit laboured when I was probably around a six forty pace, which stopped when I went back to around seven minute pace. It did take some effort to maintain it in the last two miles and I kept telling myself that this is the schedule teaching me how to run longer at a faster pace, albeit it seven minutes is only described as "steady". I don't think so Mr. Schedule writer, not yet at least. Anyway, I ended up covering the ten miles in 69:24 at an average pace of 6:55 per mile, although I know that there were fluctuations in the pace due to a few hills that I didn't run up at that pace. It was great after to hook up with a few club mate's to watch Theresa Jackson, Martin Beare, Stephen Morales, Paul Newton and last but certainly not least (not in the race I hasten to add) Julie Pritchett in a local tri event. Well done all.

No comments:

Post a Comment