Dark O'Clock X-C

Dark O'Clock X-C
Early morning cross country run from Flitwick to Luton

Monday 27 August 2012

M&M's anyone??

Day 240 Monday 27th August 6.1 miles : miles to date 1589.8

Fot the second day in a row, I headed off cross country to man up to those nettles. Voldemort had me down for a recovery five miles in forty minutes and I didn't fancy another plod along the roads at what is now a very comfortable pace even on tired legs. I have long realised that the thing I adore about x-c training is the ability to d

ive out the door and within a short time, be out on my own or with just my mates in a field with no one around and where, in my case at least, experience things I wouldn't if it wasn't for the running. I'll never forget for instance, the time me, Satnav and Robbie Craig were stuck in paper thin shorts and jackets at one am in the middle of nowhere in Scotland, soaked to the core through incessant rain that hadn't stopped in over five hours, unable to stop shaking with the cold and only thirteen hours into what would eventually become a non stop thirty six hour plus run when George Arbuckle called to let us know he had a beer or two and was off to bed. At the time it didn't go down that well as I was wrapping a cut up survival bag around my core to try to stop the shivering. Now, I look back and think of that as one of my best ever running memories which I just would not have, if I was a road junkie.
I love running the trails with my mates, but today it was just me, my i-pod thingy and a rather angry young chap called Eminem or M&M's or something similar.
I appreciate that this isn't exactly current in the music world but when your buying three CD's for a fiver, its what it is. I don't always listen to tunes and half the time I like to connect more with my running, concentrating on my pace, breathing, footfall and taking in more of the surroundings. Today though was a chill out day. Well I say chill out, it would appear that the young lad wants to do all sorts of illegal things, he can't recall his name in some of the tracks and the one where he starts to barf before spending the next four minutes swearing, wasn't conducive to me connecting with nature and enjoying all its serenity. And please, will the real Slim Shady please stand up? How many times does he have to ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment