Dark O'Clock X-C

Dark O'Clock X-C
Early morning cross country run from Flitwick to Luton

Sunday 16 September 2012

Day 259 Saturday 15th September 22.6 miles miles : miles to date 1725.4

DISASTER struck early doors as I started my billy no mates except for Harvey the 6 foot white rabbit next to me (younger viewers may need to google that one), long run. My long play i-pod thingy music machine wouldn't play my 78 rpm's and I had no choice but to listen to commercial radio. Baby, baby, one more time, baby baby,
 ohhh baby baby. Please stop the noise in my head. Arrgggghhhhh.
At least the pain distracted me from the task at hand which was a 22 mile run at 7.30 mile pace or quicker. As usual I set out too fast although eventually found quite a comfortable pace at 7.20ish per mile. The aim was just to get a steady long run in and I partly went naked or more accurately Martin Beare stylie with no water and limited food. I did take out a few emergency jelly beans and in the end did chew on a few. I had hoped to go all the way without taking anything, so come race day the extra boost will help.
I went through halfway in 1.36 something and lapped the forest centre yet again before heading back in around the same time, give or tack a few seconds finishing in 2.42.11 with a 7.20 average mile pace.
I had hoped to finish stronger than I did. Whilst I kept the 7.20 going until the end, I was in some discomfort for the last three miles and stopped bang on 22, before jogging the etc .6 to get home.
It was a lonely run, especially when I learnt all the boys and girls from the SMC had their own great 22 miler which involved being chased across fields by bulls.
As soon as I finished, into the car and 4 hours up the A1 to get Fi to Geordieland for the GNR on Sunday. Thats much more exciting than me and Harveys run, who beat me incidentally by a rabbits hair. Grrr.

No comments:

Post a Comment