Dark O'Clock X-C

Dark O'Clock X-C
Early morning cross country run from Flitwick to Luton

Sunday 16 September 2012

Great North Run

Day 260 Sunday 16th September 3.4 miles miles : miles to date 1728.8

Instead of me, me, me its all about Fi Fi Fi today. She ran her first ever half marathon and what a race to pick. The Great North Run has to be one of the biggest and be
st in the world, with upwards of 55,000 people entering todays race. The atmosphere was as always electric with so many runners of all shapes, sizes and in all types of get up. I was totally happy to play a supporting role and duly chauffeured her to the start and home.
We drove part of the course last night and its not flat, with more uphill than down it seemed to me. As there are so many runners its also very hard to get into a groove unless you are way down the front. Too much bobbing and weaving expends the energy and sensibly she just went with the flow and ran when she could and slowed when she had to. I know from experience that the crowd support along the route is second to none. The outlaws were stationed to see her at 6 miles and duly did, a little later than planned due to the 18 odd minutes it took to get across the start line from the gun. I went straight to the finish and parked up, sneaking my own little run in along the coastal path before returning to the sidelines with my camera at the ready.
I saw her with 800 metres to go and snapped away. She was looking in good shape all things considered and even raised her arms in victory as she crossed the line not long after.
I am very proud of Fi and it doesn't matter a jot what her time was or where she came. That having been said, she it in a great time of 2:08:04 and came 766th in her age group and 19620 overall, with over 30,000 people behind her, but who's counting?

No comments:

Post a Comment