Dark O'Clock X-C

Dark O'Clock X-C
Early morning cross country run from Flitwick to Luton

Wednesday 29 February 2012

The Extra day!!

Day 60 of the 366 days running challenge. 13.4 miles. Miles to date 360.2 This is the day that is making me run 366 instead of 365 days, but I'm not holding that against it. As the alarm went off unexpectedly at 6am, my wife stirred and said "are you running to work", followed shortly by "fool". After a no.2 in the garden and some chewy biscuits, I re-locked the dog up and set off, having earned a few brownie points with Fi via a cup of tea in bed. Annie Page very kindly agreed to keep me company and we set off from Flitwick train station, heading over to the moor and then in the direction of Pulloxhill. As always, once out on the trails, it felt great even with last nights speed session still in the legs a tad. We wound around the fields and headed to the John Bunyan oak tree, where JB did a lot of preaching donkeys years ago. After a few tourist pictures at the oak, Annie and I parted. I headed onto the back road into Luton and hit major traffic around 4 miles from the town centre. I ran past a bus, feeling a bit sorry for the passengers. I found myself increasing my speed and getting faster and faster. The bus overtook me and that was it, bang, the race was on. I figured that a mixture of traffic and stops meant that I had a chance of beating it over the last three miles. We then played cat and mouse, with it catching me, the bus stopping, the lead alternating, the miles getting shorter and the adrenalin flowing. We were neck and neck for a while, until the traffic became heavier in the last mile as we went through a built up shopping district. The street was very busy and I dodged in and out of the pedestrians running at around a 6.40 pace. I reached the main cross roads, looked back and saw the bus quite a way behind at which point I promptly realised what a numpty I must have looked. Still, who cares. I beat the bus, yippeeee. Yep, sad I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment