Dark O'Clock X-C

Dark O'Clock X-C
Early morning cross country run from Flitwick to Luton

Wednesday 30 May 2012

Day 151 Wednesday 30th May 3 miles : miles to date 1036.3 I have not long finished running through what felt like a squadron of samurai squirrels in the Ashridge Estate. On a low level three mile run, I must have easily encountered at least 25-30 of the blighter's, most of whom didn't move until I got within 10 feet of them. They sort of stood and stared in a kind of come and have a go if you think your hard enough type of way. I thought for a moment that perhaps I was on a big ultra and that I was hallucinating, before recalling that I had been running for minutes and not days. Being a bit of an expert in spending time in the woods, I know a thing or two about squirrels having raced after one or two in my time. I have never encountered so many hard nuts in such a short space of time. At one point, I ran into a group of five and they just would not scatter until I was practically kicking them over. Even then, they just hid behind a tree and didn't rush off. At around the two mile mark, I could swear that I could hear a lot of rustling in the shrubbery and became a tad worried that they were ganging together to take me and cart me off to their secret samurai squirrel village. Extreme I know, but I did actually look behind me to see if I was being chased by some. Not long after, my mind wandered and I started to envisage running around a bend into the outstretched hands of the king giant squirrel, who shove me under his armpit and then into the pot. Whilst I know of course that wasn't going to happen, I really did spend some time imagining what I would do if I were confronted by a 10 foot squirrel closing in for the kill. Barking, but true. I suspect my mind was going into overtime to take me away from the fact that my legs are still tired after the JB ultra at the weekend and the dafter the thought, the easier the run. I can tell you for free, I have some very daft thoughts when I'm off with the fairies at times, which are great!

No comments:

Post a Comment