Dark O'Clock X-C

Dark O'Clock X-C
Early morning cross country run from Flitwick to Luton

Thursday 3 May 2012

I love tights....


Day 124 Thursday 3rd May 5.3 miles : miles to date 811.9 The calf niggle persists, despite wearing tights for the last four days. Not of the denier female type but rather tight compression socks. Everything I have read about compression gear suggests that the benefits are greater post exercise rather than during it. This week I have spent most of my time in court and under the pinstripe suit the socks have been keeping below my knees quite warm. I would wear compression pants, but I'm too afraid I'll get hit my a bus and when they cut my clothes off at the hospital, they will find this weird and wonderful gear under the outer layer of respectability. It's all right, I imagine I'll whisper, I'm a runner before I slip back into unconsciousness. But what if I cant whisper that and they cut my gear off. Ohh no, horrible thought. So, me and Calvin the calf decided to miss the clubs new 5k time trail around the outer ring of the under construction Centre Parcs near to Flitwick. I turned up early and ran the course anyway, albeit slowly dodging the hugggee puddles and trying not to fall down rabbit holes. I helped with a bit of marshalling after to cheer the crew on. I feel inside as though I am just bursting to start again on the speed training, but I have got a 78 miler in three weeks time and need to concentrate on distance. With a bit of luck, Calvin might just let me do Saturdays 40 miler, but I'm not yet convinced. It doesn't help that last night I watched the greatest ever sports film, called Unbreakable the Western States 100. The winner covered 100 miles in 15 hours 6 mins, which on the course they ran, was just breathtaking. I cant quite believe its possible to run that far, that hard on those hills and in that heat. I have spent the entire day waiting to come home to watch it all over again. Hopefully my cross examination didn't suffer as a result? A new lad joined us tonight, so I freaked him out and asked if I could have a photo of me and him in the woods. Not sure he will be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment