Dark O'Clock X-C

Dark O'Clock X-C
Early morning cross country run from Flitwick to Luton

Monday 11 June 2012

5k effort part 2

Day 163 Monday 11th June 5.4 miles : miles to date 1097.6 After last nights 5k effort, I thought I would give it another go this evening without the de-hydration, wildly uneven pacing and the other factors I mentioned. I used the virtual partner on my garmin watch and tapped in 5k and bang on twenty minutes, hoping in truth to go under that. The watch said I needed a steady 6.25 mile pace, which is what I set off at after a few warm up strides. I watched the pacer carefully and tried to keep an even pace without last nights fluctuations. At the 1.6 mile point, I noticed I was almost spot on pacing and toggled between the time, distance and virtual modes while gritting my teeth and ploughing on through the rain. The next time I glanced at the watch, I seemed to be slowing and half a mile later I couldn't believe I still had almost half still to go, given the state of my breathing. It was then that rather annoyingly I noticed that I had accidentally stopped the watch, so I had no idea how far I had got and what was the time. That threw me slightly so I slowed, considered my options and then gave it one more blast before re-setting and returning somewhat slower to home. I do know at least that for the first 1.6 miles my average pace was 6.24 and probably for another mile I kept going at the same level. Still, it was a better run than last night, so pleased with that. I guess I have no choice. Its going to have to be a few mile reps with the Flying Scotsman George Arbuckle along New Road soon. New Road is a long, mostly straight, flat and perfect mile rep venue. I feel pain coming on.

No comments:

Post a Comment