Dark O'Clock X-C

Dark O'Clock X-C
Early morning cross country run from Flitwick to Luton

Thursday 7 June 2012

Day 159 Thursday 7th June 4.1 miles : miles to date 1070.8 I connected with nature big style on today's little jaunt. I parked in Woburn and ran over into the grounds of the House. For anyone who doesn't know Woburn, it is the family home of the Duke and Duchess of Bedford and it is set in stunning countryside next door to the safari park. In the grounds, numerous herds of deer roam freely in the extensive grounds which have a variety of trails to walk and run. I was only intending to do a slow, easy run having made the decision not to go to the clubs 5k time trail. Just before I entered the park, I came across my first ever sighting of black squirrels which Paul Newton mentioned the other week. They are strange looking creatures with long contrasting light brown bushy tails. Not quite as hard as their cousins over in the Ashridge Estate, but still a tad adventurous none the less. As I entered the grounds proper, I came across my first herd who were just feet away from the path I was on. As one, the entire pack stopped, turned their heads and stared at me, not moving until I got very close indeed. This was repeated at various points and it was a tiny bit disconcerting. I came across two very large herds in particular who did the same thing and I half expected one of them to bellow - in deer language of course - come on lads, there are 74 of us and only one of the humans, lets get him. In the second of the two, right by the path was a really young one who was about the size of a border terrier and who had trouble standing. I didn't wait to find out if the maternal instincts of the mother would lead to be being the first bloke ever to be savaged alive by deer in Woburn and just scooted on past quickly. It was still a bit weird to have so many deer, so close, watching your every move for someway. Outside of the gates, I came across a large muntjac who are pest but very shy. I got within 30 feet of this one and it didn't move which is the closest I have ever been to one in the wild as it were. Driving home tonight, a fox and its cub ran within feet of the front of my car and to top it all I had a chicken sandwich for dinner. Could I have come across any more animals today?

No comments:

Post a Comment