Dark O'Clock X-C

Dark O'Clock X-C
Early morning cross country run from Flitwick to Luton

Wednesday 13 June 2012

Day 165 Wednesday 13th June 3.1 miles : miles to date 1107.6 I had a Queen moment on tonight's trail run across the top of the Ashridge Estate. I set off intending to take it easy and for the first 100 metres or so I did, but started to pick it up again despite knowing I shouldn't after three harder days in a row. The truth is, I just wanted to get it done and go home so whilst I didn't pan it, I was shifting a bit too quickly on tired legs. A mile or so into the trail, I rounded a bend to see a lady in front of me on a bike that was too small for her ample frame. She was a little rotund - nothing wrong with that by the way - and as I approached from the rear, the chorus of fat bottomed girls sprang into my mind. I began singing it to myself whilst approaching the young lady in question who wasn't cycling that fast. That was it for the rest of the run, as I repeated a version of the chorus in my mind. All together now;- Oh, you gonna take me home tonight Oh, down beside that red firelight Oh, you gonna let it all hang out Fat bottomed girls you make the rockin' world go round Fat bottomed girls you make the rockin' world go round Luckily, a mixture of Dad rock going through the brain, a few undulations and a twinge in Calvin the calf meant I slowed down covering the 5k in 22;37. The simple truth is I want to get to the point where my slower runs are done at a 7.30 pace, but I recognise that will take a while. On the way back in close to the car, an older chap was out for a walk and he stopped, pulled out his hankie, held it high and dropped it for me as I went past him on the path, in a crossing the line type thing. That was a really jolly thing to do, which did bring a smile to my face for which I thanked him.

No comments:

Post a Comment