Dark O'Clock X-C

Dark O'Clock X-C
Early morning cross country run from Flitwick to Luton

Sunday 3 June 2012

The start of millions...


Day 155 Sunday 23rd June 5 miles : miles to date 1052.2 I'VE INVENTED A NEW RACE!! I'M GONNA MAKE MILLIONS!! Ok, I do have a tendency to exaggerate ever so slightly, but I did have an unusual run this morning. Due to the rather inclement weather, I was pushed out the door by Fi and told to go and help my daughter with her paper round. Out came the Ron Hills, rain jacket and off I went. The race involves finding my daughter, which wasn't hard today as she was in a bright yellow jacket, stopping at the checkpoint (her paper trolley), folding papers dexterously whilst still in the paper trolley to stop them getting wet, taking six or seven at a time and running to the houses furthest away. Once there, shovel the papers in as fast as possible and return to the checkpoint. Then repeat seven times each time trying to find the moving checkpoint. There must be a hundred odd houses where we live and most are spaced quite far apart. I was able to run back and forth and in between the houses quite well. There are also six off site, that I normally drive her to, so by the time I ran there and back I found that I had covered just short of 5 miles, so I looped a few times to round it up. On the basis that there are say 106 houses where I live, next weeks race will start at some point or other after I get out of bed, from the front of my house. Entries are limited to 106 and if full, runners can only take one paper at a time. The entry fee is £74.98 and for that you don't get a goodie bag, you don't get a medal and you don't get any finish time. Or water, food, gels, t-shirt, marshal's, bacon sarnies or any type of incentive to come back next week. If the race is not full, the other entrants have to pay the shortfall in the entry fee. Winner gets a paper. Right then, let's get the ball rolling. Please send a cheque, postal order, cash, green shield stamps, euros, Drachma, a years subscription to Trail Running magazine or unopened bottles of wine to me at my address. I can only apologise to the Parkrun races for taking away future race entrants. I'm off to Coutts Bank to open an account.

No comments:

Post a Comment